Government Emergency Ordinance no.50 amending and supplementing the Government Emergency Ordinance no. 196/2005 regarding the Environmental Fund and for amending and completing the Law no. 249/2015 on the management of packaging and packaging waste was published in the Official Gazette (Part I) no. 543 of 2 July 2019.
Thus, environmental legislation has recently been enriched by a number of new provisions. The new obligations for companies are related to packaging used and packaging waste resulting from their activity.
Government Emergency Ordinance (OUG) no.50 / 2019 came into force on 2 July and transposed into the environmental legislation a European directive, bringing new obligations and details or clarifications to the existing obligations of the Romanian companies regarding the packaging waste.
Therefore, for firms in hotel business and food service companies producing packaging and / or similar packaging waste from households, Government Emergency Ordinance (OUG) no. 50/2019 establishes the obligation to proceed in one of the following ways:
- either to return the used packages for which they paid a sum of money under a guarantee- return system
- either to hand over the used packaging to authorized collectors which prove to have a valid
contract with an organization implementing the obligations of the manufacturer’s extended
– either to dispose of packaging waste, by type of material, in separate collection systems for municipal waste managed by sanitary operators.
In the case of economic agents producing such packaging and / or packaging waste, which are not from the hotel industry or food services, Government Emergency Ordinance (OUG) no.50 / 2019 provides for the following alternative obligations
- to hand them over to authorized collectors for the purchase of packaging waste from the
- to dispose of packaging waste, by type of material, in separate collection systems for
municipal waste managed by sanitary operators.
We remember You that through the Order of the Minister of Environment no. 572/2019 for submitting the declarations regarding the obligations to the Environment Fund by electronic means of remote transmission (published in Official Gazette no. 544 / 03.07.2019), it is envisaged to set up an online service for submission of environmental statements that will be available on the Environmental Fund Administration website.